After working at Harvard University, Bank of Boston, Fidelity Investments, Apple Computer, Sun Microsystems, Adobe Systems and Silver Spring Networks (all world class companies), I retired early.
Why did I retire early?
- To spend more time with my wife, family, friends, dogs, reading, writing, and outdoor activities. We'll rarely remember how great it was to work late, but we'll always remember the great times we had with family and friends. I now have time to cook much more for friends and family.
- To do more to make our world a better place through:
To fight evil:
- Community: City of Sunnyvale, Sunnyvale Heritage Park Museum, Sunnyvale Community Services, Sunnyvale Presbyterian Church, my neighborhood association, politicians who prioritize science, environment, health, education, children, housing, equal rights, truth, and justice.
- Kids: American Youth Soccer Organization, Child Advocates of Silicon Valley, Central Asia Institute, Positive Coaching Alliance, local public schools.
- Environment: Zero Waste, Friends of Stevens Creek Trail, Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, Grist, Freecycle Forever, Freecycle Sunnyvale.
- Science: Monterey Bay Aquarium, California Academy of Sciences, Union of Concerned Scientist, Climate Ride.
- Health: Cancer Research Institute, Oxfam America, Planned Parenthood, Greenbelt Alliance.
- Education: Harvard University, KQED, KDFC, Montalvo Arts, Wikipedia, Electronic Frontier Foundation.
- I was shocked my country could elect someone so unqualified and harmful to the American values I hold dear: science, environment, health, education, children, equal rights, truth, justice, and professionalism. I realized that money was now less important to me than time and doing the right thing.
- I chose to devote my professional skills and energy full time to make our world a better place rather than just making money -- to counter the evil in the Trump and Republican agenda.
- Be clear.
- Be the ball.
- Know thyself.
- Knowledge is power.
- Everything is relative.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Think globally, act locally.
- Live carefully and be positive!
- What goes around, comes around.
- The constants in life are birth, death, and change.
- When visiting, always leave a place better than it was when
- Do unto others as they wish to be done unto, not just as you
would have them do unto you.
- The pen is mightier than the sword, and the computer is the
mightiest pen yet invented by mankind.
--My 1993 extension of a quote from Edward
Bulwer Lytton and Richard Burton.
- Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a woman to
fish and feed her for a lifetime. Build a fishing school and feed
a community for an eternity.
-- My 1993 extension of a quote from Kuan-tzu
- Human life is precious. Our Earth is precious. Please do not
waste either. We must educate everyone, encourage planned
parenthood, enjoy our differences, and empower individuals. I
believe in self-determination. I believe in ecosystems. I believe
- I don't believe in drugs or smoking, but I do believe people
have the right to choose, as long as those choices
don't hurt others. I do not tolerate intolerance. I believe in
religious freedom. I believe in checks and balances. I believe
in free market economies and democratic governments.
I believe in sustainable
- Life and death are challenging and difficult. Yet they must
balance. So that any may live, all must die (eventually). Humankind needs to
mature in its understanding of both life and death. Death should
not be viewed as a bad thing. It is a natural consequence of life.
A mother is the best person to choose whether she aborts her fetus
or not. Each individual is the best person to choose when to end
his or her own life. God has given us the power and the resources
-- we must use them wisely and empower people to manage their own
destinies -- without stomping on those of others.
Copyright © 1995-2017 Tim Oey, California USA, tim(at)oey(dot)us
Hopefully this website will be updated at least once a year